John Frederick Karch
Rick Karch, a principal in Oswald & Yap’s Irvine office, is a member of the Estate Planning and Tax Practices Groups. Rick’s practice covers a broad range of complex individual, corporate, financial and tax planning matters arising in connection with domestic and international transactions.
Rick has substantial experience in business and estate planning; capital structuring and finance sourcing; tax-driven benefits and business continuity plans; investment banking; private and public securities offerings; trade secrets and unfair competition; intellectual property; business valuations and mergers, acquisitions and divestitures. He has structured offshore risk management subsidiaries for Fortune 500 companies; and provided financial, tax and regulatory compliance counseling to investment banks, emerging growth technology companies, venture capital firms, life and casualty insurance companies, and other public and private corporations.
Rick also has cross-discipline expertise as a corporate counsel, regulatory and governance compliance officer, chief operations officer, financial executive, investment account manager, crisis manager and administrator. He graduated from Princeton University with a B.S.E. and received his J.D. from USC Law School. He holds an LL.M. in Taxation from the University of San Diego, and an M.B.A. in Finance from Harvard Business School. He is admitted to practice before California Courts, U.S. District Courts, 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, U.S. Court of Claims, U.S. Tax Court and the U.S. Supreme Court. Rick is also a California CPA and holds licenses in real estate brokerage; life, health and disability insurance; NASD (FINRA) Series 7 and Series 63 securities.
Rick is frequently invited to lecture at business and tax seminars. He is an active member of the State Bar of California (Business, Anti-Trust and Trade Regulation, Real Property Law Sections); American Bar Association; California Society of Certified Public Accountants; American Association of Attorney-CPAs; Orange County Business Council; Harvard Business School Association of Orange County; and the Marine Corps Association. He served on active and reserve duty in the Marine Corps as an artillery, intelligence and special operations ANGLICO officer, including a combat tour as a forward observer.
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California L.L.M. Major: Taxation
- University of Southern California Law School, Los Angeles, California J.D.
- Harvard Business School M.B.A. Major: Finance
- Princeton University B.S.E.
- Lecturer, Business and Tax
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of California, Business, Antitrust & Trade Regulations, and Real Property Law Sections Member
- American Bar Association Member
- Orange County Business Council Member
- Harvard Business School Association of Orange County Member
- Marine Corps Association Member
- U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Duty
- ANGLICO Special Operations Officer
Past Employment Positions:
- Berger Kahn, LLP
You may contact us by e-mail using the form below. A representative of the firm will respond as soon as possible.
- Business Law
- Securities Law
- Real Estate
- Estate Planning, Asset Protection, Tax and Probate